Sunday, August 23, 2009

how to get stuff you want

This one I dig. You know the easiest way to get something you want? Take it. I'm not talking stealing really, though I'm not not saying it either. But just take it. Fine line between theft and oops?! Just take it.

A great line in a great play/film - I'm paraphrasing here:
Lee: Now all I wanna do is borrow your car.
Austin: No!
Lee: Then I'll just take the damn thing.

See, it's not really stealing, it's taking. I admit, I can't tell the difference, but I know there is one.

Another way is the more common, more civil approach, which is simply asking. Mama always said you don't get what you don't ask for. She also made me often fear the sky might fall though. But it's partially true. "Can I have a little more butter in my popcorn", "Can I have fresh fries, not those sitting under the heat lamp the past two hours since it's 3:00 in the afternoon", "can't you swallow just this once", etc. It's going to work at a reasonable rate - just ask.

Another way is manipulation. Tricking people into giving you what you want. You can use a bunch of ten dollar words and talk quickly and sound like you know what you're talking about, make it sound like you're smarter than them and are just giving them a break. That works if you play it right.

So, there's a few of the many ways to get what you want. More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment